Gum Disease in Wimbledon
Gum disease starts with the growth of bacteria inside your mouth and end with tooth loss, if not treated properly.
There are 3 stages of gum disease which include
- Advanced Periodontitis
Signs and symptoms of gum disease
- Bleeding gums at the time of brushing or flossing
- Swollen, tender or red gums
- Gums that move away or recede from the tooth
- Bad breath in your mouth
- Loose teeth
- Change in the way your teeth grow
- Change in fitting partial dentures
- Visible pus that surrounds your teeth and gums
- Sharp pain when chewing food
- Teeth that are sensitive to hot or cold temperature
Treat gum disease at the initial stage
It is extremely important to treat gum disease at an early stage. This can prevent tooth loss, infection and gum damage. You need to:
- Brush teeth twice a day and floss daily.
- See your dentist regularly for thorough checkups and proper cleanings.
- Avoid using tobacco products or smoking to stay away from gum disease.
Your dentist may prescribe certain antibiotics to fight the infection for gum disease. They can be put on the gums or used as a mouthwash for clean and healthy mouth. He may also suggest using antibacterial toothpaste that lessens gingivitis and plaque, when used on a daily basis.
How a periodontist treats gum disease
At first, your periodontist will provide effective tips in maintaining good oral health and hygiene. In mild cases, improving your dental hygiene can actually reverse the condition and in turn, improve the health of your gums. If the disease has advanced to periodontitis, the treatments include – scaling and root planing, laser treatment, and other surgical treatments. We will discuss with you about all possible options to treat your gum disease.
Factors for developing gum disease
- Bad oral hygiene
- Chewing tobacco or smoking
- Hereditary habits
- Crooked teeth that are hard to clean
- Certain medications such as steroids, drugs and oral contraceptives
Are you having swollen and tender gums?
Feel free to contact our experts now to treat your gum disease!